Friday, April 22, 2011

My life as a translator

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim,

It's been a while since I wrote anything specific about my working life per say. If I browse back to my earliest entries,I did mention of  writing about my work every now and then.

Well, here goes.

It's nothing much or interesting. Not a popular work like being a doctor, engineer, accountant, economist,lecturer, teacher, excetera2.

People who wishes fame shouldn't enter this field because it doesn't give you fame.

If you wish for a good night sleep during bedtime, then you shouldn't consider this field also.

I'm not sabotaging or degrading this job but I have to give a sneak peak of what to expect.


Frankly speaking, at first I really loved being employed as a translator because of the jobscope that doesn't require me to deal with...ermmm...PEOPLE?

But then,I got bored and stressed out. I'm actually an In-House translator. Whaddaya mean In-House? It means I work from home/at home.

My means of communication with my colleagues are through SKYPE and OUTLOOK email. NO,not calling2...just typing2  [glad for that!]

Colleagues are scattered in Egypt,Japan,UK and I'm not sure where else but throughout the world lah. So, we could identify the first mishap, DIFFERENT TIMEZONE

My official working hours should be, 9-6 but actually it goes way beyond that. I'm not saying they [superiors] are pressuring me to work late at night but the situations make it to happen so. My friends get weird when I'm quite active in fb in the morning and then I say, today I had to sleep at 3-4 AM. During the active moments in fb would be the time I don't have any tasks to do at all. I always receive tasks during late evening or night time because in their respective countries, it's still early in the morning.

I'm a very responsible and dedicated employee  [cewahhh masuk bakul seh!!] and I don't do fbs,tumblrs and what not whilst working. If they give me late tasks, the deadline for submission would suffice me to finish it in the morning but I'm not the kind who can sleep peacefully thinking I have something pending. I'm just weird like that T_T  

So,what do I do as a translator?

I translate, of course!hahaha...No really, I kid you not.

I translate from BI-MALAY-BI [depends]

If not translating,I'd be reviewing/editing other translators works. Something I help around with the Malay contacts. I have translated for some big and well known companies...awal2 dlu memang cuak tau! Among them would be Nokia,Samsung,HP,Sony, yang lain2 cheq lupa. It also requires me to do a LOT of researching via the internet to see whether a word I'm using is used correctly in that specific manner.

No I don't translate leisure story books or novels.I translate formal and specific terms, which makes it more difficult and challenging T_T

Hmm..what more what more?

The pay is OK lah for a newbie like me plus I work from home so I save transport and food expenses,alhamdulillah after a few months,I got my baby Suhaan =)

But to consider it as a long term work...not really...I kinda miss socializing with people eventhough I'm shy in nature [omaigod wTfish?] plus my parent wants me to have a work that has more employee benefits.

Imagine if I want to be a lecturer??? the world would break into two! I won't believe it myself..hahaha


It has been 7 months already....How time flies by, I'm proud of myself  [who else wants to be proud of me T_T] because I didn't rely on anyone [kronies] to get this job. I'm grateful to Allah because he settled me with a nice job for my first official job after graduating, Alhamdulillah  =)....I'm thankful to my parents though I know they want me to work elsewhere, they never pressured me in doing so and they supported my decission. I'm one stubborn homosapien  :P

What I've gained from this job? Priceless experiences of handling communication with superiors, using challenging translation tools like SDXL,TRADOS,WORDFAST,DEJAVU,etc2, searching for words via online dictionaries/hardcopies, dealing with challenging specific terms/jargons especially involving MEDICAL and MONEY terms  [ berpeluh bulu mata ok!]....I also gained eye power  [SAYA SI BUTA], frequent headaches but in the end, it's all worth it =)

I may be complaining every now and then....but deep down inside, I love my job!  =)

I think everyone should love their jobs...because Allah made it happen for us and whatever happens to us, will turn out GOOD eventually =)


What a long rant,am I right or wrong?


Okay okay....I'm almost done.


FINISH.

DID ANYONE WAS ABOUT TO DIE OUT OF BOREDOM AFTER READING THIS LONG POST?

Haha....pitiyu


I still have a long journey to go and I pray that whatever I do, may Allah bless me,ameen


p/s: I didn't take time to browse through any grammatical errors...pardon me any language experts reading this,too tired to read back :p  [ tulis xpenat :p]


toddles~

salam~~



No comments:

Post a Comment